Osteoarthritis is the most common form of arthritis. It occurs due to the erosion of cartilages at the end of your bones where they meet the joint. The cartilage of the joint degenerates and produces friction within the joints. It usually affects the joint of the knees and hands since they are constantly under stress from daily activities. There are a lot of symptomatic remedies for this condition but sadly, it is incurable. You need to prevent further damage by practicing a joint-friendly lifestyle.
Prevention of the condition may not be possible, but you can ensure that you can try preventing it by knowing if you are at risk:
- The older you get, the more you are likely to develop this condition.
- Joint injuries, previous trauma, or injury to your joints can start or worsen this condition.
- The more weight your body is carrying every day, the more pressure you put on your joints, so heavier individuals are more likely to develop this condition.
- Pain in the joints. Joints hurt during or after movement.
- Pain in your joint with light pressure.
- After waking up or not moving for a long period of time, affected body part may feel stiff.
- Grating sensation in association with movement.
- Less flexible (limited range of motion)
- Nonsteroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs (NSADs) – One of the conservative treatments of Osteoarthritis are NSAIDs. These class of medicine acts as the solution for the inflammation; however, this does not guarantee that symptoms will not come back.
- Physiotherapy helps relieve the symptoms if applied with patience and determination.
- Steroid Injections – These are applicable when symptoms are already persistent with NSAIDs.
There are a lot of options to avoid the occurrence of this condition:
- Exercise – As early as now, you should start to live an active lifestyle – doing regular and controlled exercise. (As excessive exercise can lead to many other problems in the long run). It would be better to do exercise in the right way and eat foods that strengthen your joint cartilage like vegetables and dairy products.
- Diet – Since obesity is a major factor for this condition, you should watch your diet and maintain a normal Body Mass Index (BMI).
- Lifestyle change – As we know that smoking and many other vices is not good for the health, as much as possible, avoid them. Live a healthy lifestyle.
- Taking regular breaks from using a keyboard.